[Buddha-l] Re: [Photographs of] Tibetan Sky Burial

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Mar 15 09:00:35 MST 2006

Hi Andrew,
Relax, the poor vultures are on last legs.
Last night, as it happens, on NPR's BBC program, they had one on these very
dying vultures and diclofenac, which is also apparently used for pain by
vets and animal owners, so dead cows might have a lot of it in their bodies
and dead cows used also to be regularly consumed by the vultures (since cows
cannot be slaughtered in India). One Parsi woman being interviewed said she
was sad that their tradition was dying, and that even though "people laugh
at us for giving our dead bodies to vultures, it's the cleanest way to
dispose of them."  She has a point, no?
The program also said that there are now two vulture conservation outfits in
India, one near Delhi, where they hope to keep the species alive by breeding
them with safe food, but one man said it might take ten to fifteen years
before the new ones could be released into the wild. Several people spoke of
the urgency to remove this drug from the markets in India, a daunting task
considering all the little corner and road stores that might sell it. They
claimed these vultures are dying out all over Asia, but nothing was said
about the Tibetan vultures. Maybe this drug hasn't reached Tibet yet, but
one wonders how soon Chinese merchants will be purveying it there.
Comparable situations in the US are that NSAID drugs are now found in fresh
water fish, along with hormones and who knows what else.
Joanna