[Buddha-l] Non Orthodox Elements within Thai Buddhism

Hugo eklektik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 09:55:57 MST 2006

Hello Bankei,

On 3/22/06, Bankei <bankei at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just spent a short period as ordained as a monk in Thailand and was
> very surprised at the level of non orthodox elements within Thai Buddhism.

I guess it is better to ask what means to be "a Buddhist".

If one follows the Buddha's teachings then one is, if one doesn't,
then one is not.

And because of anatta and anicca, there may be moments when you are
and moments when you are not, thus, labels just lead to confusion and
problems, like in this case some people may say that this event (i.e.
beating the guy who smashed the statue) proves that Buddhism doesn't
work, just because the people who beated him to death labeled
themselves as Buddhists (and we are not even sure about that).

It is better to point out that ignorance makes all the things you
described (and more) happen, and the Buddha's teaching aims towards
the elimination of ignorance.

Just my current view, which of course may change immediately after I
send this message. ;-)
--
Hugo