[Buddha-l] Non-dual scholars?

W. Codling waynewc at telus.net
Wed Mar 22 10:29:22 MST 2006

Richard Nance wrote:

>That will depend on what you mean by "unambivalence." Could you say more?
>
>Best wishes,
>
>R. Nance

Thank you for asking, Richard.  First of all, my primary Buddhist
influence is Zen and primary interest is the nuts and bolts of living
and teaching Zen.  So I am not sure if this notion of non-duality is
emphasized in other Buddhist expressions.  I hear Tibetans talk a little
bit about non-duality, but Pure Landers don't seem to indulge in that
sort of talk so much.  So maybe the first thing I need to know is how
central such a notion is in Buddhism.  Zen, however, is about
relationship; to characterize a relationship as being unambivalent means
there is no confusion.  I know it is usually interpreted positively, ie
being clear or certain, but  I want to use it in a negative sense,
unambivalence as being non-comparative in the face of discreet
elements.  To deny that everything resolves into two seems
counter-intuitive in a Zen context.  In my own so far unsuccessful
efforts to understand what all those zennies are talking about when they
speak of 'non-duality', I have often thought that what was being
described was a non-discriminating or comparative viewpoint, but if so,
why not say that?  It is common to hear teachers talking about 'entering
into' non-duality or 'directly experiencing' non-duality or of
non-duality as an ontological axiom of some sort.  This kind of talk has
never made sense to me.  So I am looking for a way to talk about the
profound integrating or centripetal effects of meditation without using
vocabulary which is palpably inaccurate with regard to the real world.
I suppose that believing in non-duality would have a clarifying effect
also, which could also be characterized as unambivalence, but it would
really entail a form of monism which also runs counter to Zen teaching,
ie not one, not many.

So, for example,  instead of viewing 'subject and object' as false or
illusory, I think Zen meditation tends to bring subject and object into
a sort of equivalence.  It is not wrong, exactly, to label this
equivalence as non-dual; but it is insufficient in terms of being
practically useful.  Furthermore, I think that all the talk about
non-duality is misleading.  I want to find another way to talk about
this meditative equipoise.

whew,
Wayne