[Buddha-l] Non Orthodox Elements within Thai Buddhism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Mar 22 10:58:38 MST 2006

I think it is important to make a very clear distinction between such
supposedly "non-orthodox" beliefs and practices as praying to "Hindu"
Gods and believing in ghosts, on the one hand, and religiously inspired
mob violence on other other hand. To some purists these phenomena might
be conflatable into a single category of "degeneration", but as a Hindu
Deity worshiping Buddhist myself, I would prefer to make this
distinction emphatically.

On the other other hand I am not completely convinced that the crowd's
response was unwarranted, although obviously too late. Such should
probably be the fate of all self-appointed iconoclasts - but preferably
before they act. This will, of course, require advanced Tantric brain
scanning techniques and/or precognition. And since this will result in
crowds of people "pre-emptively" beating would be iconoclasts to death,
it will probably look even worse to some people.

- Curt