[Buddha-l] Non Orthodox Elements within Thai Buddhism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Mar 23 09:15:31 MST 2006

Curt-----What do you mean by "superstitious," pray tell?
That terminology is distinctly non-scholarly nor is it useful--
merely a negative label that says you don't approve of something some people
do. It's a well-established fact that polytheistic peoples (as well as
monotheistic peoples) mainly approach their deities in a patron-client mode,
asking for favors and offering payment, either as austerities or as temple
offerings. Devotion is part of the payment. Those wanting to "lose self in
deity" are few.

See, for example, the film 'Kataragama', about the big annual festival of
Kartikeyya/Murugan in Sri Lanka. This Hindu deity is considered such a
powerful boon grantor that he is worshipped and vowed-to not only by Hindus,
but Buddhists, Christians and Muslims. Some repay his boons by
self-inflicted austerities--fire-walking, piercing of the face and body,
pulling carts attached by hooks in the skin of their backs, aso. For others,
coconuts and flowers serve as suitable offerings.

Joanna