[Buddha-l] Prof. Herbert V. Guenther's passing. . .

Geoff Morrison sanskrit_studies at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 25 03:21:24 MST 2006

For those of you on the list, who knew Professor
Guenther or who had the opportunity to study with him,
as I did, here is the Obituary Notice that was printed
in the Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Canada) Star Phoenix
newspaper on March 14-15, 2006. It is doubtful that
the New York Times or any other major U. S. Newspaper
will run a memorial notice for Professor Guenther, so
here is a tribute to his memory from Saskatoon:

HERBERT GUENTHER
Prof. (emeritus) Herbert Guenther, PH.D., D.Litt.,
born on March 17, 1917 in Bremen (Germany), passed
away peacefully on March 11, 2006 after a lengthy
illness. After his high school studies in Bremen,
Herbert studied at Munich University (Ph.D. in 1939)
and at Vienna University (a second Ph.D. and Venia
Legendi in 1943). He married in 1944 and taught at
Vienna University; in 1950 he went to India where he
taught at Lucknow University and at the Sanskrit
University in Varanasi. Invited by Prof. Leddy in 1964
he came to Saskatoon to become Professor and Head of
Department of Far Eastern Studies at the U of S
[University of Saskatchewan], where he carried on his
teaching and research work up to his retirement.
Throughout his life he was devoted to scholarly
research, wrote numerous books and a great number of
scholarly articles, gave lectures at many universities
and taught briefly also at Harvard University, at
Toronto University and at the Saybrook Institute in
San Francisco. He was also deeply interested in music
and in the Fine Arts. Herbert was a kind man who
helped many people. He will be sadly missed by his
loving wife Ilse, by his daughters Edith (Michael)
Kimbell of San Francisco and Nora (Nandor) Szederkenyi
of Vienna, his granddaughters Julia and Katrina
Szederkenyi, and by his many friends, former students
and scholars all over the world. He was predeceased by
his parents Reinhold and Dorothea Guenther, his sister
Ruth Buchholz of Bremen (Germany) and by his grandson
Edmund Kimbell. Special thanks to Dr. Fern and Dr.
Gowan and to all the kind nurses at the Saskatoon City
Hospital as well as to the very kind and friendly
nurses and staff at St. Ann's Home in Saskatoon. At
his request there will be no funeral. Flowers
gratefully declined.

Published in the Saskatoon StarPhoenix from 3/14/2006
- 3/15/2006.

Requiescat in pace.

Geoff Morrison