[Buddha-l] In the footsteps of Xuan Zhang

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Wed May 3 12:20:30 MDT 2006

Dear List,

On a similar topic to the one discussed in this thread on Xuan Xhang, I
have another question: did Japanese Buddhists go to India in pre-modern
times? I suppose my question can be split into two:

- did Japanese Buddhists try to go to India?
- did they make it all the way?

I remember reading that Kuukai is meant to have met an Indian teacher in
Nara, though the book where I read this was more hagiographical than
scholarly, so I was wondering if Japanese Buddhists undertook the
reverse journey.

Thanks in advance,

Alberto Todeschini