[Buddha-l] In the footsteps of Xuanzang

Tom Dreitlein tdreitlein at poem.ocn.ne.jp
Fri May 5 06:13:34 MDT 2006

Stephen Hodge wrote:

> The temple in which I lived during my sojourn at Koyasan was the
> Shinnyo-en.
> It was named after Shinnyo, a disciple of Kobo Daishi.  He made it as
> far as
> Kampuchea where he was attacked and killed by a tiger. The abbot of
> Shinnyo-in, while I was there, visited the area of Kampuchea where Shinnyo
> is thought to have died and erected a small memorial.  However, I doubt
> this
> survived the Khmer Rouge interlude.

Stephen, I believe you wanted to give the name of the temple you stayed
at as Shinno-in, not Shinnyo-en.

Shinnyo-en is, of course, an entirely different and modern entity in
Japanese Buddhism and unconnected with Koyasan.

Former Prince Takaoka (Takaoka Shinno), who became the monk Shinnyo,
died as you say in 881. The temple is named after the title Shinno
(Imperial Prince), not after his monastic name of Shinnyo.

Just to jog your memory. Regards from Koyasan.

Tom Dreitlein