[Buddha-l] Beyond Hope

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue May 9 08:24:36 MDT 2006

I did read your message, Gregory. In it you asked whether or not I could
substantiate my claim that the current rate of incarceration in the U.S.
is higher than whatever it was under Mao or Stalin. I have read that
this is so, and when you challenged me to back it up I first wanted to
make sure not to stray too far from what I considered the main point to
be: the outrageousness of having over 2,000,000 people in prison in the
U.S.

Let's suppose for the sake of argument that the USSR under Stalin and
the PRC under Mao did, in fact, have higher rates of per capita
incarceration that the U.S. does now (and/or that they had a higher
absolute number of people incarcerated). If we allow that then what is
the result? Only that those countries have decreased their rates of
incarceration since then, and meanwhile the United States greatly
increased ours - succeeding in capturing "first place" in the
International Incarceration Rate Competition - although perhaps not yet
breaking the historical record (but give us time).

The question "does the United States have a lower incarceration rate
than the Stalinist or Maoist police states" is like the old "when did
you stop beating your wife?" To protest that one stopped beating one's
wife quite some time ago is not much of a comeback.

- Curt