[Buddha-l] Buddhist social deconstruction

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Tue May 9 14:07:52 MDT 2006

I was reading in a San Marino restaurant the other day when someone running for office (Congress?) and someone else (a fundraiser, quasi-lobbyist?) were having a "meeting."  The fundraiser fellow said, in an opening statement, something about how he used to always want to get work specifically in proportion to his donations and fundraising efforts, but that never happened, so he now knows that one does such things to serve the community.

Being a nosy fellow, I listened and listened and listened.  I wanted to know if they were Democrats or Republicans.  This never came up, not once.  They only discussed money, networks, "the Construction Community," the propriety of donation requests, and things like that.  There was one tiny hint that the candidate was a Democrat--he met J-lo at a fund-raiser. I'm assuming that the entertainer signifies some miniscule degree of Leftness, but I don't know.  Maybe W. charmed her by speaking in Spanish.

Okay...how can I tether this complaint to Buddhism.  No-self!  Democrats, Republicans...they have no self-existant permanent identity!  Their selves are determined by the grasping they have not yet overcome.

Michael Moore and I are "not two" (today),

"JWB" / the Huntington Library