[Buddha-l] solitary confinement

Gad Horowitz horowitz at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri May 12 10:40:54 MDT 2006

Decades and decades of experience with prisons shows that they are more part
of the problem than part of the solution.  Crime and prison arise in
dependence on one another.  Prison, no matter what the lip service paid to
"correction" i s on the whole not at all conducive to change for the better
of the human beings caged therein like rats.  Vengeance and self
righteousness is the name of the game.  Just suggest for a moment the
possibility of movement towards abolition and all those who have not sinned
start frothing at the mouth about serial killers and pedophiles.  The fact
that many many prisoners are no more violent than you all is hardly
mentioned.
My question is:  When Debs says:  While there is a criminal element I am of
it;While there is a soul in prison I am not free--is he not manifesting a
better understanding of emptiness and codependent arising than many of you
fine Buddhists?