[Buddha-l] H.H. the Dalai Lama and China

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Fri May 12 19:29:13 MDT 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, jkirk wrote:

> I was not 'criticising' the Dalai Lama, I only suggested that political
> knowledge of China would imply that continuing to actively oppose a sect
> that China is deliberately cultivating (knowing that HH had hopes of and
> was trying to be invited to China for diplomatic talks) gives China an
> excuse to blame any sort of sectarian hoopla in Tibet on HH.  I can
> assure you that I'm entirely clear about what is going on here. Best

My reading of it is that this *particular* incident and news item is an
indication of either (a) the negotiations between China and the Tibetan
government-in-exile has gone south or (b) China is trying to strengthen
its hand in the negotiation. Otherwise, even though the Chinese government
may very well be encouraging the Shugden sect to antagonize H.H., this
incident won't have happened at this crucial point in time - or even if it
did by accident, the outside world would not have heard of it.

>From what little hearsay I got, the Tibetan government-in-exile has high
hopes of this round of negotiation and in particular of the invitation for
H.H. to visit China. Apparently they went to some length including burning
some bridges in Taiwan to make this happen. Now this.

I am afraid the hand is in China's favour. They can continue to play games
and then wait for H.H. to pass on before proclaiming their own incarnation
of the Dalai Lama. Even if the latter is not acceptable to most Tibetans
in exile, it will create the necessary divisive effect.

W.F. Wong

NB: All my "info" are NOT first hand. All my opinions are purely
speculative.