[Buddha-l] Was Buddha a Buddhist

Leigh Goldstein (d) leigh at deneb.org
Mon May 22 20:02:31 MDT 2006

Someone asked me this recently. I was wondering what traditional Buddhist
terms correspond in some sense to the Western idea "Buddhist" and whether,
in particular, Buddha was considered to be a monk or subject to the
ordination vows.

If a Buddhist is someone who takes refuge in the Three Jewels, it seems like
Buddha could not be a Buddhist. If a Buddhist is a sentient being who
follows the Buddhist path, then Buddha could not be a Buddhist. Does that
mean that someone ceases to be a Buddhist when they become a Buddha?

On the other hand, if someone is a Buddhist who understands and practices
the Buddhist doctrines and methods, then Buddha would be the only complete
or fully Buddhist.

Besides this, there is the possibility of very different concepts about
these things in the different Buddhist schools.

Can someone point me to traditional sources on these subjects, if they
exist?

Thanks,
Leigh