[Buddha-l] Was Buddha a Buddhist

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Tue May 23 14:25:27 MDT 2006

Gang,

I think nearly the whole field of the history of religion stands with
Jim Blumenthal in thinking Siddhartha Gautama's relationship to
Hinduism--at least in the last half of his life--is quite different
than Jesus of Nazareth's relationship to Judaism. (The theological
question of whether they are "Buddhists" or "Christians" is quite
another matter.)

I'm not sure I'd say it was doctrinal matters (such as anatman) that
separate Buddha from the general run of the sramana movement, though.
The movement, as far as I know or guess, was really only united by one
thing: being sramanas rather than householders. There was a huge range
of ideas represented in it, including radical materialism. Still, I
agree that the Buddha's ideas were pretty "out there." What I'd add to
this, what I personally think was exceptional in his sangha, was his
emphasis on the middle way. Where almost *all* sramanas had tapas,
asceticism, as their raison d'etre, and gained their status that way,
the Buddha and his sangha explicitly rejected this approach. This and
their acceptance of non-Brahmin members--and, later, women--set them
quite apart from other groups and on the road to being--too at last
return to the subject of this thread--"Buddhist," not "Hindu."

That's what I think, anyway, though I'm far from a scholar on this
subject.

Franz