[Buddha-l] Vaitulyakas

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon May 29 20:40:22 MDT 2006

Aren't the titles of this alleged sect derived from these terms for demons,
ghosts, etc, or magic arts? Seems this outfit  were accused of being up to
no good, regardless. Their title and reputation suggests derogatory
labeling. Or is this off-base? I tried finding Veda.lha in the Pali
dictionary and in MW,  but no go.
            Joanna

MW
      vetAla m. (of doubtful derivation) a kind of demon , ghost , spirit ,
goblin , vampire (esp. one occupying a dead body) Hariv. Ka1v. Katha1s. &c.
; N. of one of S3iva's attendants , Ka1lika1P. ; of a teacher BhP. ; of a
poet Cat. ; a door-keeper (?) L. ; (%{A}) f. a form of Durga1 Va1s. ; (%{I})
f. N. of Durga1 Hariv.

Pali dictionary
2. Vetala: (page 647)
Vetala at D i.6 (in the lists of forbidden crafts) refers to some magic art.
The proper meaning of the word was already unknown when Bdhgh at DA i.84
explained it as "ghana-- ta?a?" (cymbal beating) with remark  'mantena
mata-- sarir' u??hapanan ti eke" (some take it to be raising the dead by
magic charms)..........