[Buddha-l] Tortoise mind?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 6 02:06:29 MST 2006

jkirk schreef:

> Hi Erik
> I agree with you about the dualistic frame of the Gita message.
> However, as I've said before, I don't agree that the mind can be
> completely separated from sensing. But that idea certianly justifies
> the Gita's message.

I remember a passage from the Kausitaki Upani.sad, where it's argued
that the 'devas' have retired from a person while he is asleep, because
he doesn't see, hear etc. Often it's said (I don't remember if that's
the case in this passage) that the prana's retire into the heart at deep
sleep. So the general idea was in India that senses without consiousness
are like an electric microphone or camara without batteries.
We can learn about a nonsensing mind in practical terms from the
experiments with sensory deprevation i.e. the satori tank.

--

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950