[Buddha-l] Dawkins: The God Delusion

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Mon Nov 6 14:41:42 MST 2006

On page 394, note 95:

"Julia Sweeney is also right on target when she briefly mentions Buddhism.
Just as Christianity is sometimes thought to be a nicer, gentler religion
than Islam, Buddhism is oftern cracked up to be the nicest of all. But the
doctrine of demotion on the reincarnation ladder because of sins in a past
life is pretty unpleasant. Julia Sweeney: 'I went to Thailand and happened
to visit a woman who was taking care of a terribly deformed boy. I said to
his caretaker, "It's so good of you to be taking care of this poor boy."
She said, "Don't say 'poor boy,' he must have done something terrible in a
past life to be born this way."'

Comments?

W.F. Wong.