[Buddha-l] Query--forest tradition monks in Japan today?

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 9 00:40:21 MST 2006

Gang,

To add a socio-historical level to this issue, ara.nya monks need not
be in forests, jungles, or wildernesses, but rather need be away from
centers of power (and thus in the metaphorical wilderness). One might
speak of centric monks and eccentric monks; the latter are the folks
we're discussing. Stanley Tambiah has written persuasively on these
issues with respect to Thailand. As far as Japan goes, I think
immediately of the Daruma-Shu Zen school, the sennin (Hakuin goes on
about one of these who saved him as a young man), and maybe the
myokonin (the homespun bodhisattvas of the Jodo traditions). No doubt
there are other groups who fit the bill.

Cheers,

Franz Metcalf