[Buddha-l] Query--forest tradition monks in Japan today?

Kate Marshall marshallarts at bigpond.com
Fri Nov 10 23:22:32 MST 2006

> Anyway, I sent a correction to my last message almost immediately
> afterwards, to the effect that the "bushi" comes from the verbal stem
> "fushi" of "fusu", which means "to lie down", "to prostrate" etc rather
than
> "to quell", in which I was misled by its use in another compound.  So your
> source is quite reasonable in its translation.

This is interesting to know.  Thanks, Stephen!

  Incidently, the range of
> mountains in NW Japan known as Dewa Sanzan is one of the most significant
> yamabushi locales -- Google might  turn up something about it, better the
> the few lines in Wikipedia.

I followed your advice and Google came up with lots of information.  Did you
do this trek, Stephen?  I read an article posted by someone who did and it
sounds extremely challenging - though from his report, eating the breakfast
that was served to him was a bigger challenge!

Joanna, you might like to check out
http://www.jref.com/practical/dewa_sanzan_gassan_yudonosan_hagurosan.shtml
as there is a link to the Mummies.  I didn't realise that starving oneself,
especially to such an extent, was part of any Buddhist practice.

Regards
Kate