[Buddha-l] Withdrawal of the senses

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 15 01:18:19 MST 2006

Plotinus is a pivotal neoplatonist. Reading Indian thought as an exotic
version of neoplatonism (or gnosticism) is a misleading -- though
entrenched -- distortion. Controlling the senses in Buddhism and the Gita
means to remain detached within the sensorium, not to shut down sensation
itself. Detachment in this context means that pleasurable sensations don't
condition one to desire positively, and painful sensations don't condition
one to hate or avoid.

Dan Lusthaus