[Buddha-l] Withdrawal of the senses

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 15 10:41:39 MST 2006

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> Plotinus is a pivotal neoplatonist. Reading Indian thought as an exotic
> version of neoplatonism (or gnosticism) is a misleading -- though
> entrenched -- distortion. Controlling the senses in Buddhism and the Gita
> means to remain detached within the sensorium, not to shut down sensation
> itself. Detachment in this context means that pleasurable sensations don't
> condition one to desire positively, and painful sensations don't condition
> one to hate or avoid.
>
> Dan Lusthaus

I understand that texts are different, but there's only so much you can
do with your body and mind. So similar practices can have a different
meaning, but similar effects. Plotinus also describes visualisation in
the Eneads. In the Giita Arjuna 'sees' Kri.s.na in his true form, this
doesn't seem to me merely to be unattached perception.
I wouldn't be so sure about what the Giita really says, because it's not
written by one person overnight.

Erik