[Buddha-l] ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 20 03:24:49 MST 2006

Michael LaTorra schreef:
> Is the world an illusion, or a simulation?
>
> Or are we in the improbable position of living in the vanishingly short time
> period before massive world-simulations begin?
>
> See philosopher Nick Bostrom's argument below.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael LaTorra

Michael,
to me this is just an new form of oldfashioned metaphysics. If we live in a computersimulation, the computer exists and we don't and we'll never be able to prove the existence of the computer, because data from the computer itself are by definition out of reach. So we can only believe and call the computer God or Allah or Brahman. If you prove that the reality we live in is an illusion, how could that justify the assumption that there must be another true reality?

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950