[Buddha-l] Re: Withdrawal of the senses

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Nov 20 12:35:05 MST 2006

The "Turing Test" provides another avenue of attack. It does not quite
amount to a "proof" - but philosophy is not reducible to formal logic
(as the positivists had to admit long ago), so "proof" is not only not
necessary - it is unobtainable. Of course, no machine has yet really
passed the Turing Test - but most humans wouldn't be able to pass it
either, for that matter.

Also, while one person, by him or herself, may not be able to "prove"
that "others" "exist" - two people can easily prove this by taking turns
hitting each "other" over the head. You can compare the sensation of
what it feels like when the "other" is hit, to what it feels like when
"you" are hit. In order to be able to do appropriate statistical
analysis, be sure that N>=30.

- Curt