[Buddha-l] Tibetan word for "meditation"

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Nov 20 15:07:57 MST 2006

On Monday November 20 2006 13:42, Malcolm Dean wrote:

> Would anyone with a Tibetan-English dictionary and, say, Tibetan 201,
> please simply look the word "meditation" up and tell us all what the
> entry says?

Good heavens.This question has been answered repeatedly in quite a bit of
detail, but your obsession (prapanca) remains. So let me tell you what my
trusty Tibetan-English dictionary says.

sgom-pa (bhaavanaa) 1) originally to fancy imagine; now to contemplate
systematically; to entertain; to reproduce in one's mind. Four degrees of
meditation are distinguished: lta-ba [seeing]: contemplation; sgom-pa:
meditation proper; spyod-pa: consummation; and 'bras-bu: fruition.

The entry goes on to say that sgom-pa requires three things: clarity, lack of
wavering and tranquillity.

The Sanskrit words most often translated as "meditation" are dhyaana (from
dhai, to think, ponder, imagine, call to mind) and bhaavanaa (from the
causative of bhuu, to become; the causative means to make something come
about, to cultivate and refers to the cultivation in oneself of virtue or
positive mental states). Bhaavanaa is usually translated as sgom-pa.

Go meditate on these philological morsels. Then go find the person who told
you that the Tibetan word for meditation just means paying attention. Then
tell him "You're fired!"

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy