[Buddha-l] Tibetan word for meditation

Malcolm Dean malcolmdean at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 12:10:05 MST 2006

Thanks to Joy, Richard, Stephen and Dan for their replies to this question.

Richard said:
> Good heavens.This question has been answered repeatedly in quite a bit of
> detail, but your obsession (prapanca) remains.
> Go meditate on these philological morsels. Then go find the person who told
> you that the Tibetan word for meditation just means paying attention. Then
> tell him "You're fired!"

Um, no. Not repeatedly (unless you're referring to earlier
conversations). The assertion was made here, on Buddha-L, and went
unchallenged.... and we don't want to fire Buddha-L, do we?

Stephen said:
> The fact that you have not had a clear answer yet might alert you to the
> fact that this is not as straight forward as you seem to assume, although
> you have actually had a partial reply on this from Dan Lustaus,

... which is why I suspected that pressing the inquiry might yield
some useful distinctions and correct the record. The point is
important for any neurological or information-based approach to
Buddhism. I prefer to call this thoroughness and persistence, but if
Richard wants to call it obsession, I'm obsessively persistent.

Malcolm
Los Angeles