[Buddha-l] Tibetan word for "meditation"

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Nov 21 17:47:27 MST 2006

I would say the general word, or at least as vast and general as "meditation" (the way it is used nowadays), would be sgrub pa (generally translated as to practice). In actual practice, the main practice in Tibetan Buddhism is not samatha and vipassana as such, although it has become more widely taught in the West by Tibetan teachers, but recitations and deity practice (sadhana).
----
This I've observed too--a former Muslim friend now living in the US converted to Tibetan Buddhism. Under the guidance of his lama back in India his practice consists entirely of recitations and deity practice. I have thought for some time that he could benefit from learning meditation, I gave him the address and phone of a Gelugpa group in his city that offers meditation, but since his lama does not teach it, he doesn't learn it. He has become completely dependent on this lama's occasional communications, and he has found no more contentment than he had before he converted.
Joanna