[Buddha-l] Tibetan word for meditation

RonLeifer at aol.com RonLeifer at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 22:12:17 MST 2006

In a message dated 11/21/2006 5:42:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rhayes at unm.edu writes:

But  we'll try to fire the person
who first said that the Tibetan word for  meditation means paying attention.
We just can't have such egregious  errors on buddha-l.

As that person I take responsibility, in lieu of Jamgon  Kongtrul Rinpoche
whose definition of meditation I reported but who,  unfortunately, has by now
reincarnated and is not available to account for  utterances from his previous
life.

I don't think Rinpoche was giving a dictionary definition. He was tailoring
it to his audience. I had the opportunity to discuss American  psychiatry with
Rinpoche while planning the Karma Kagyu conference on Buddhism  and
psychotherapy in 1986. He was aware that American psychiatry, the  so-called medical
science of mind, is immature and confused compared to  Buddhist views of mind.
When a psychiatrist asked him to define meditation, he  clowned around,
pretending not to know the word. It was a moment of high,  ironic comic art. With his
response, Rinpoche implied to his  incredulous audience that he did not know
anything about meditation while he  knew and his audience knew that it was
they that knew nothing about  it.

In contrast to the present dialogue between Buddhists and  neuro scientists
in which he latter try to show that meditation is a  function of the the brain,
Rinpoche gave a simple,  basic definition. Meditation is a function of mind,
namely, paying  attention. This definition fits Shine or Shamatha - breath
awareness, and  also lag thong or vipassana which also involves paying attention.
In fact,  every form of meditation, including all that have been given to
this list,  involve paying attention.

So perhaps Rinpoche's definition is correct, even if it not literal or
dictionary based, although it seems to me to be consistent with all those given.