[Buddha-l] Are we sick of dogma yet?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Nov 22 10:10:19 MST 2006

On Tuesday 21 November 2006 18:19, [DPD Web] Shen Shi'an wrote:

> "Self" is a remarkably stable, well-organised and persistent illusion
> too.

If self is stable, well-organized and persistent, then why call it an
illusion? It seems to me that to the aptly chosen adjectives you have used,
one could also call self useful and perhaps even indispensable, So why, aside
from being dogmatically loyal to a 2500-year-old taboo, call self an illusion
or a delusion?

I know all the stock answers, so no need to repeat them for me. What I'm
interested in is something more like a good answer than a stock answer.
One stock answer is that the construct of self leads to dukkha. But is that
really the case? None of my own personal experience confirms that claim, nor
does it seem particularly reasonable. Might there be an occasion for
questioning this whole matter a little more deeply?

I've been reading Leonard Priestley's book on Pudgalavada, and Mark Siderits's
staggeringly intelligent book <cite>Personal Identity and Buddhist
Philosophy</cite> and am close to giving up on the classical Buddhist project
of reductionism.

Does anyone know of any decent Pudgalavadin Buddhist temples in the Rio Grande
valley?

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy