[Buddha-l] question: nirvana in early Buddhism

Barnaby Thieme bathieme at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:11:48 MST 2006

Howdy folks.

Please excuse my afflictive ignorance on this topic. I would like to get a
sense of what is meant by "nirvana" and/or "final cessation" in early
Buddhism, as derrived from the Pali suttas. From the outside looking in, it
appears to me that the early Buddhists (pre-CE) by and large believed in the
doctrine of reincarnation and the inevitability of suffering, and regarded
the proper end of practice to literally be a cessation from that endless
process of being reborn into the endless round of rebirth. But I'm not sure
if this is accurate, and I'm not clear on what "cessation" means, in the
sense of a "never returner" or a Buddha after leaving this life.

I am sure there is a diversity of views on this topic within early Buddhism,
but I'm trying to understand the gist. Is "nirvana without
remainder/nonabiding nirvana" as conceived by early Buddhists a cessation of
consciousness in the sense that awareness is obliterated? Or are we to
undrestand that it is a cessation of personal consciousness, that perhaps
has the flavor of being united with a universal field in some way? I
wouldn't be surprised if the latter is too Vedic, but the former sounds
awfully nihilistic.

What does Buddhaghosha say about this? (I know he's much later, but
still...). Do the Pali suttas say anything clear about this, or does this
belong to the "questions not tending toward edification"?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Barnaby Thieme

It's my manner. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really. - T. E.
Lawrence