[Buddha-l] Are we sick of dogma yet? (2nd of 2)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Nov 23 21:03:59 MST 2006

Franz wrote:

> Gang,
>
> Okay, I found a few minutes to chime in again on this fascinating topic.
>
> The historical analysis of what venerable schools of Buddhism taught (and
> did not teach) is quite beyond me. So, I'll just, for the sake of
> argument, suppose that what Dan Lusthaus asserts about the Pudgalavadin
> position is more or less accurate. I think this assertion is *profoundly*
> important and--once one gets over the shock of it--powerfully explanatory
> of contemporary Western Buddhist practice.
Hmm Franz-and how is it "explanatory of contemporary western Buddhist
practice"?
I hadn't thought it was that unified or the same no matter where
found......so how does pudgalavada relate to what people are doing in the
"west"?
This discussion has gotten pretty esoteric......how about more detail,
folks?
Joanna