[Buddha-l] Are we sick of dogma yet? (2nd of 2)

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 24 08:20:48 MST 2006

Thanks very much, Dan for this lucid exposition of facts.
Only I'm not convinced that your last point is sufficiently
substantiated. It would mean that all these ideas were as it were
designed by conceptual inventors, rather than coming from tradition,
experiences of daily life, gossip, myth, legend, etc. which is usally
the case. Like the apple of Newton: once you find something interesting,
you make your ontobuddhological excuse.

Dan Lusthaus schreef:
> 10. My opinion is that the Pudgalavadins posed a major institutional and
> doctrinal challenge to the other schools, who, in responding to them,
> devised many of the doctrines that we have come to associate with Buddhism
> (I mentioned upaya previously, but there are more, and Nagarjuna's debt to
> them has long been recognized. The intermediate state between lives -- the
> Tibetan bardos -- are another; the reincarnation doctrine underlying the
> Dalai Lama system, tulkus, etc., i.e., rebirth of "personalities". are still
> another. Yogacara's three nature theory is another. There are others.)

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950