[Buddha-l] Are we sick of dogma yet? (2nd of 2)

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 26 10:13:20 MST 2006

I stil find considerable flaws in this analysis. I've not read Siderits,
but there are some angles left untouched here. First of all, we have to
make a difference between an empirical ego (the one which the shrink
gets his hands on) and the transcendental one, which is no more and no
less then the principle of responsability and the necessary unity of
cognition. The latter is related to the first person single in grammar.
Secondly I think it's impossible to give a coherent description of the
self from the point of view of the self. The self is a social
phenomenon, it's the way we participate in a group. . The Buddhist
attempts and most of the western philosophical attempts just fall short
in taking this into account. As a subject in language, that what we
think and speak about, Sartre gives a reasonable description of the self
as the ad hoc mental construct on the basis of filtered memories.
Bourdieu calls it the illusion of the biography. To me at least this
makes more sense then the rather theoretical categories of Siderits.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950