[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada #3b

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 30 00:49:26 MST 2006

Stephen,

>  But this also suggests that
> the personal name is not "ku'sa", but something beginning with "go" or
> "gau".

Nice. I simply followed Priestley's Sanskritization of the characters, and
was more concerned with rest of the text and its meaning than with nailing
down the precise personal name (since the actual name was secondary to the
point, which was identifying with someone in the past as one's own past
life). Several of Dao'an's comments seem a bit odd and off key. Let's keep
in mind that while he seems to want to jump in and gloss the Sanskrit terms
that are transliterated rather than translated, Dao'an knew no Sanskrit. He
may have confused Ku"sa with something else.

As you are checking variants, you will notice in a few places I altered the
punctuation from what is found in the Taisho edition, for what seemed better
readings.

We agree that this is anything but an easy text. Looking forward to