[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada #3b

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Thu Nov 30 03:23:35 MST 2006

Stephen/Dan,

I didn't put this well. Try again:

Does not this suggest a Prakrit original ? Ku"sa could have become
Gusa or very possibly Gosa in some forms of Middle Indian, although
the change of 'k' to 'g' is more usually intervocalic.

We do not know whether these two texts belong to the same
Pudgalavaadin school. But it is quite possible that one or more of
them had a Canon in Middle Indian. Or, if their literature was in
Sanskrit, it might  derive from a different underlying Prakrit or
Prakrits to that underlying e.g. the (Muula-)Sarvaastivaadin texts.

>>(The Sanskrit word quxia has ten names: sheep, eye, earth, sky,
>>water, expression, space, diamond, light,
>>and severed.  [snip]
>>[The ten terms listed by Dao'an are not clear correlates of kuÊa,
>>though some work.
>
>The reason why Dao-an's gloss doesn't really work with "kuÊa" is
>because he is actually listing the meanings for "go" (or "gau.h").
>There is an almost exact list in the Amarako'sa:
>"svarge.su-pa'su-vaag-vajra-di'n-netra-dh.r.ni-bhuu-jale" (heaven,
>arrow, bull, speech, thunderbolt, quarter, eye, ray of light, earth
>and water).   I have not had time to check the Medini-ko'sa.   But
>this also suggests that the personal name is not "ku'sa", but
>something beginning with "go" or "gau".
>
>Best wishes,
>Stephen Hodge

Lance