[Buddha-l] Pudgalavada #3a

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 30 07:53:10 MST 2006

Stephen,

> You might care to look at a hard copy of this or else access an annotated
> digital version.  There are a number of important variant readings shared
by
> major editions contra Koryo which you might like to consider vis a vis
your
> rendering.

Some of the variants are, as you suggest, very interesting. 千 for 干 in
不若干得合命及身 adds an interesting dimension. But the passage uses 干 in a similar
fashion a few other times. Others variants make less sense than the main
text. None really solves anything (at least as far as I can see). But if you
want to bring any of them into the discussion, please do. One big difference
between what I did and what Priestley did was that I treated more phrases as
stock quotes -- which is what I think is the point there, they are conjuring
up things all Buddhists would say and trying to show that these are only
properly understood if contextualized in a Pudgalavada manner, as well as
showing the presupposed prajnaptis implicit in what all Buddhists say.
Anyway, have fun. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I have some other ideas about why the longer version is longer, but will
wait to see what you come up with before spilling the beans. I'm curious
whether you will hit on a similar idea.

Dan Lusthaus