[Buddha-l] Re: Pudgalavada

Dhammanando Bhikkhu dhammanando at csloxinfo.com
Thu Nov 30 08:21:00 MST 2006

Lance:

 > The Vajjis (Sanskrit Vr.ji) were a people contemporaneous
 > with the Buddha. The practices among monks belonging to that
 > people led to the disputes settled at the Second Communal
 > Recitation. In this kind of context -putra means 'member of
 > a clan'; so the Vr.jiputrakas are 'the members of the Vr.ji
 > clan'.

 > They have nothing to do with the Vaatsiiputriiyas (in Pali
 > Vacchiputtiya), although you are far from the first to get
 > confused about the matter.

Though it's certainly an error to equate the (Second Recital)
Vajjiputtakas of Vesaalii with the (pudgalavaadin) Vatsiputriyas,
nevertheless, it's clear from the commentary to the Kathaavatthu that
the Theravada tradition used the name "Vajjiputtaka" for both groups.
For example at Kv-a. 9 the pudgalavaadin view is attributed to
"vajjiputtakaa c'eva samitiyaa ca bahiddhaa ca bahuu a~n~natitthiyaa."

As far as I know, your suggested correct form, "Vacchiputtaka", is not
found in any Pali texts at all.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando