[Buddha-l] Buddhism and psychoactive substances

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 04:19:46 MDT 2006

  Joanna

  Your friend's story is very moving. May all beings be well.

  Fasting has been a spiritual instrument (not sure it is a "power tool") for millenium, among seekers of visions and others.  My own caveat for the 10 day "Master Cleanser" fast is that you first determine, perhaps through your family physician, whether or not your metabolism is capable of benefitting from it.

  For more information on the "plump" monks who live on the essence of flowers I heard this story from Glen Mullin, tibetan translator who gave a talk on his book "Selected Works of the Dalai Lama II: The Tantric Yogas of Sister Niguma." Chapter eight is his translation of Pa-dam-pa' Sang-gyes 'Essence of Living on Mystic Pills (Essence of Flowers)'. Tibet does have one of the worlds richest pharmacopia's, so I wouldn't put it past them.

  I can't say I have seen "obese" Tibetan monks.  Returning from Nepal once, which has one of the world's worst rates of malnutrition, I observed a very obese Canadian society on the bus going home from the airport.

  And now to determine if there is time to do the medicine buddha sadhana this morning.

  All the best
  Mike