[Buddha-l] Persecution in modern Colorado?

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 3 19:38:16 MDT 2006

Gang,

On Oct 3, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> Has anyone else been disappointed with the lack of social and political
> engagement in their Buddhist communities? If so, what do you do about
> it? Try
> to become more complacent? Try to get Buddhists off their butts?
> Divide your
> time between Buddhists and Quakers? Watch TV? Take psychoactive drugs?

To answer Richard's first question, I've been disappointed. To answer
the second, what we did in LA was revive the dormant LA Chapter of the
Buddhist Peace Fellowship. We began with a varied group from many
sanghas (though almost all convert Buddhists), but it has thus far been
impossible to recover from the devastation we felt after the 2004
elections. And of course if would have been nice if any senior dharma
teachers would have participated in our meetings or actions. None so
far, but everything is impermanent. Perhaps next month's election will
reinspire folks....

Franz