[Buddha-l] Persecution in modern Colorado?

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Oct 3 21:43:53 MDT 2006

Has anyone else been disappointed with the lack of social and political
engagement in their Buddhist communities? If so, what do you do about it?
Try
to become more complacent? Try to get Buddhists off their butts? Divide your
time between Buddhists and Quakers? Watch TV? Take psychoactive drugs?

--
Richard P. Hayes
==============

Having begun with Unitarians back east when the meeting was more like
ethical society meetings, and then coming here where nobody among the UUs
did anything political in public, and the minister preferred not to stir any
pots by taking positions, I decided that even putting up with their other
idiosyncrasies wasn't worth it. But lo and behold, now that two members of
the UU cong. (plus her husband) are running for public office, the minister
has begun to turn herself around. She's even giving a sermon on political
action this month. So I plan to go, to see how far she'll take it,  and how
the group responds.

Meanwhile, the local InterBeing sangha, being followers of Ven. Thich Nhat
Hanh, who has been political for most of his life, do take part in peace
demos and marches, and occasionally I get an email from their leader calling
attention to some political issue or demo. I guess I'm on his list because
he knows I'm a Buddhist, although I'm not in his group (or any group). So
that bunch of Buddhists do try to take political actions and I suspect many
of them lobby congresspeople, etc (not that that does any good with the
level of corruption in our government.)

Joanna