[Buddha-l] Persecution in modern Colorado?

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Wed Oct 4 22:42:42 MDT 2006

Bonjour d f tweney,

>I hold no such hope. I used to, but I lost it two weeks ago when I heard
>George Bush on the radio talking about the Geneva Convention. He said (and
>I'm paraphrasing) "The problem with the Geneva Convention is that it's too
>vague. It says that you can't do anything that's 'offensive to human
>dignity.' But what does that mean? It's just too vague."

Perhaps he ought to reread his favourite political philosopher.

It is astonishing from this side of the Atlantic to see how bills like those authorizing warrantless telephone and e-mail surveillance, secret hearings and "torture" (as some European newspapers summarize them for clarity's sake) are passed without hardly any protest and how a couple of sex-related e-mails can threaten an administration.

And then the Amish giving a lesson in human dignity.