[Buddha-l] Dissent or Service?

Jon Weaver jonsweaver at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 5 09:56:56 MDT 2006

I think that at this point in time, American sanghas are too fragile  for public dissent. So perhaps the question is: what qualities need to  be cultivated by American sanghas, so that they can publically engage  in dissent?

  The Quakers have established ways to not be torn apart by thier  internal differences, and ways for the public to understand the moral  foundation that thier protest emerges from. I do not think Buddhism is  established enough in the US for that. Perhaps dialog btwn the Quakers,  Mennonites, UUs and Buddhists could help share these important  protections.

  However, here in Santa Fe New Mexico, sanghas are engaged with service  through hospice projects, soup kitchens, prison outreach, etc. It is  intimate and immediate service. Does anyone have ideas on how to make  big, distant problems like the Iraq invasion and ideas like peace, more  immediate? How can non-violent dissent "bring the war home?"

  Metta, Jon Weaver