[Buddha-l] Dissent or Service?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 9 12:09:14 MDT 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 11:33, curt wrote:

> This is far more
> than a rhetorical jab - it goes to the point of whether or not Quakers
> should be seen as somehow superior to other European Christians

I have not seen anyone issue an invitation to regard Quakers as somehow
superior to other European Christians, so I'm not sure what to make of your
question.

If you're interested in pursuing it with me privately, I'll happily ignore you
off list. Here on buddha-l it would be better if we stuck to Buddhist
pacifism rather than discussing the merits of the Quaker peace testimony and
the Quaker recommendation against participating in the American revolution,
which it was inappropriate for me to bring into this discussion.

If your interest in the history of American Christianity is robust, may I
recommend Sydney Ahlstrom's <cite>A Religious History of the American People
</cite>, which has some good material on Pennsylvania (and. abut 1000 pages
later, on American Buddhism). A less weighty but still very interesting work
is Jon Meacham's recent book, <cite>American Gospel</cite>.

--
Richard