[Buddha-l] distortion and generalization

Elihu Smith elihusmith at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 18:15:02 MDT 2006

"The American habit of imprisoning people who might be
harmed by
dangerously
intolerant Americans is not much different in
principle from the
Taliban's
putting women in purdah to protect them from the
unwanted attentions of
undisciplined males. The difference is that when
Muslims do such things
it's
backwards and evil, but when Americans do such things
it's promoting
democracy and freedom."

This seems a gross distortion and generalization. The
Taliban's purdah in recent years is oppression of
women on an ongoing basis. It probably would continue
if they were in power. This is quite different from
even such American behavior as the internment camps of
Japanese-Americans during WWII. There are lots of
things in the American past which are sad, which are
to be atoned for, but there is little that I see
currently which could be called "imprisoning people
who might be harmed by dangerously intolerant
Americans."

It seems to me that stating this in this way only
expresses and feeds anger and hatred. Certainly, the
Buddha Dharma clarifies these poisons and their
consequences.

Peace,

Elihu