[Buddha-l] Political incorrectness towards Buddhism?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Oct 10 09:28:21 MDT 2006

Western Buddhism has it's roots in the movements of the Romantic and
Enlightenment periods that heaped scorn on Christianity. Two interesting
books on the subject are "How the Swans Came to the Lake" by Rick
Fields, and "The Theosophical Enlightenment" by Jocelyn Godwin. Field's
book takes up right where Godwin's leaves off. Fields wasn't interested
in trashing Christianity and he downplayed that whole aspect of what was
going on - but there can be no doubt that Buddhism gained a foothold in
the West only because a critical mass of people had "rejected" Christianity.

Godwin's book, on the other hand, is more specifically focused on the
very process of rejecting Christianity and all of the various religious,
and anti-religious, movements that resulted. Western Buddhism is one of
those results - and Blavatsky, Olcott and Bennett come in at the end of
his story (rather than the beginning as in Fields' book).

Godwin quotes Sangharakshita (who, whatever else you might say about the
guy, really has a way with words) on the subject of "therapeutic blasphemy":

"In order to abandon Christianity completely, -- in order to liberate
himself from its oppressive and stultifying influence, -- it may be
necessary for the ex-Christian not only to repudiate Christianity
intellectually in the privacy of his own mental consciousness but also
to give public expression in words, writings, or signs to his
*emotional* rejection of Christianity and the God of Christianity, i.e.
it maybe necessary for him to commit blasphemy."

- Curt