[Buddha-l] Political incorrectness towards Buddhism?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Oct 10 11:42:14 MDT 2006

On Tuesday 10 October 2006 04:32, Stefan Detrez wrote:

> on the market there are plenty of books trashing the monotheist religions.

Sam Harris is doing a wonderful job. Of course, this has been going on for
some time. Adam Smith reports that when David Hume was dying, Hume said that
his only regret in dying was that he would not live to see the planet rid of
that silly superstition, Christianity. I don't know why he singled out
Christianity; I can think of no religion that is not a great deal more silly
superstition than carefully reasoned rejection thereof---even Buddhism comes
up sadly deficient on that score.

Let me take a breath and see whether I've failed to offend anyone yet.

> My overall impression is that we do a lot of 'clean' talk on Buddhism,
> avoiding harsh criticisms.

That's the most stupid goddamn idiotic observation I've seen expressed here,
and the competition for stupidity is pretty steep on buddha-l.

> Any of you bumped into a website, or rather, books of politically incorrect
> nature on Buddhism?

No, but I'm all for turning buddha-l back into what it used to be before all
those wimpy speech-precept preachers started chastising everyone who didn't
meet their standards of feigned humility. Let her rip, everyone!

Let me say a few ugly things about some Christians, just to get the ball
rolling

This past weekend my lovely femme et moi celebrated her 60th birthday by going
to a Benedictine monastery in one of the most beautiful parts of New Mexico.
We loved the setting. The beautiful autumn colors and the clear waters of the
Pecos River and the birds singing in the marshlands nested in the valleys
between majestic mountains restored our souls, as did the Quaker reading
materials we took along with us. But we also went to all the religious
services of the Benedictine monks and retreatants. Talk about dead religion!
It was just plumb awful.

First of all, there was not a single hint of any kind of spontaneity. At every
one of the six services a day, all they do is read stuff aloud and chant off
key. Even during "silent" meals they have some guy reading in a perfect
monotone from an arid history of the Benedictine order. It was almost dry
enough to evaporate my bowl of soup.

The material they happened to be reading during religious services when we
were there were all these god-awful bloodthirsty psalms about destroying the
enemies of Zion, taking over neighboring territories, praying that the women
of the enemies all become barren and that their babies be dashed to bloody
pulps on the rocks. All I could think was "Thank God most of these monks are
half asleep, so they can't take in all these ghastly cries for brutality and
terrorism that somehow got classified as the word of God."

At one of the services, the Benedictine abbot explained that we were
celebrating a special mass to the Blessed Virgin Mary to commemorate some key
battle in the crusades in which the Christians had been victorious over a
bunch of Muslims. He then said that there would never be peace in the world
until people learned to adore both Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary. That
mass was very inspiring indeed! It included a reading from the Gospel of
Matthew in which Jesus makes it clear that anyone who gets divorced and then
remarries is committing adultery. (My wife and I left the chapel holding
hands, celebrating our careers as serial adulterers.)

We were planning to stay for the Sunday mass, but we reached the saturation
point before then. So on Sunday we escaped the monks and raced to Santa Fe to
attend the Quaker meeting there.

At the Quaker meeting, several people stood up to speak of generosity they had
received from Masons and Shriners. One woman had just returned from a Shriner
hospital where her child had been treated for three months at no cost to the
family; she also mentioned that her sister belongs to an evangelical
megachurch and had  said: "Be careful with those Shriners! They worship the
deviil, you know!" (I always wondered what they kept under those funny hats.)

One man stood up after the Quaker meeting for worship and said that he found
it interesting that the entire country is buzzing with outrage that a
Republican Senator sent some sexually explicit e-mails to minors working for
the Senate, and what a trivial offense that is when measured against the
massive abuse of minors being done every day as George W. Bush sends young
men and women to die in unnecessary wars in which tens of thousands of Iraqi
women and children are dying. (Naturally, I clucked my tongue disapprovingly
at this outburst of fixed anti-US, and perhaps even anti-Semitic,
distortionalization.)

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy