[Buddha-l] Buddhist Intolerance?

Sharon Smith hsp01ses at gold.ac.uk
Fri Oct 13 13:13:09 MDT 2006

This article might be of use in placing Nichiren's exclusivism into
perspective:
Jacqueline Stone, 1994.  Rebuking the Enemies of the Lotus: Nichirenist
Exclusivism in Historical Perspective. Japanese Journal of Religious
Studies 21(2-3) pp. 231-259.
I think it's available on the web.  Google should help you find it under
the nichirencoffeehouse site.

Best, Vijayatara

>> Didn't Nichiren have some especially harsh things to say
>> about his opponents?  I think they were mostly members of other Buddhist
>> sects, so I don't know whether that fits in the scope of your project.
>

> [b]If a person fails to have faith
> but instead slanders this sutra, ...
> The things he says
> people will not believe, the breath from his mouth will be constantly foul
> If there are monks who,
> for the sake of comprehensive wisdom, seek the Law in every direction,
> pressing palms together, gratefully accepting, desiring only to accept and
> embrace the sutra of the Great Vehicle and [I]not accepting a single verse
> of the other sutras[/I], to persons such as this it is permissible to
> preach it [the Lotus Sutra]. If a person, earnest in mind,
> seeks this sutra as though he were seeking the Buddha's relics, and having
> gained and gratefully accepted it, that person shows no intention of
> seeking other sutras and has never once given thought to the writings of
> the non-Buddhist doctrines, to a person such as this it is permissible to
> preach it.[/b]
>
> The Lotus Sutra Chapter 3
>

> [b]The people of this country are continually deceived by the
> Nembutsu priests, or by the Zen, Ritsu or Shingon sect. Thus they act
> outwardly as though they revere the Lotus Sutra, but in their hearts they
> do not believe in it. So although I, Nichiren, do not think that I have
> done anything particularly wrong, when I assert the supremacy of the Lotus
> Sutra, they all resent me, just as the people in the
> Latter Day of the Law of Ionno Buddha detested Bodhisattva Fukyo.
> From the ruler on down to the common people, they hate even to hear
> my name, let alone see my person, therefore, though I was innocent of any
> wrongdoing, having been exiled, I could not possibly be pardoned. To
> compound matters, I had denounced the Nembutsu--which the people of Japan
> revere more deeply than their own parents and more highly than the sun and
> moon--as the karmic cause that leads to the hell of incessant suffering.
> [color=red]I attacked the Zen sect as the work
> of devils, and Shingon as a heresy that will ruin the nation, and insisted
> that the temples of the Nembutsu priests, the Zen sect, and the Ritsu
> priests be [color=blue]burned down[/color], and the priests of the
> Nembutsu [color=blue]beheaded[/color]. ...[/color] Those who
> believe in the Lotus Sutra should beware of and guard themselves against
> the sutra's enemies. Know that the Nembutsu priests, the upholders of the
> precepts, and the Shingon teachers--in fact, [u]all those who refuse to
> chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo--are the enemies of the Lotus Sutra[/u], no
> matter how earnestly they may read it. If you do not know your enemies,
> you will be deceived by them.[/b] --- Nichiren
> Written in the third month in the second year of Kenji (1276),
> cyclical sign hinoe-ne, in the mountains of Hakiri Village in the Nambu
> [...]

Sharon Smith