[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist Intolerance?

David Fiordalis david.vincent.fiordalis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 06:38:02 MDT 2006

On 10/17/06, Bradley Clough <bclough at aucegypt.edu> wrote:

> Based on a helpful distinction drawn by some others who have
> responded, I'm looking more for instances not of doctrinal critique of
> other religions, but actual cases where Buddhists actively practiced
> intolerance, where they actively worked to prevent others from
> practicing their religion. Thus far, I'm finding that Buddhists have
> often been most intolerant towards other Buddhist schools, as opposed
> to other religions, which is interesting. If you have any further
> thoughts on the matter, I would welcome them!

I wonder what conditions are necessary for the type of intolerance you
describe. In other words, what position would Buddhism have to occupy in a
society in order to be able to work actively to prevent others from
practicing their religion? If Buddhism were not the dominant religion in a
particular culture or society, wouldn't its strategies of engagement with
other, perhaps more dominant religions be different? Can a religion in the
minority still be called intolerant, or would such a minority religion need
to tolerate the religious majority by necessity?

As an aside, I wonder if you've thought at all about Tibetan Buddhist
attitudes towards the Bon religion.

Best,

David Fiordalisi