[Buddha-l] there he goes again (sam harris)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Oct 29 14:29:34 MST 2006

On Saturday 28 October 2006 18:55, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> We can experience the non-existence of the -self who is experiencing
> all these things.

I would be happy to refer you to a gaggle of Buddhist epistemologists who
would be glad to explain to you that absence can never be experienced. I
think they are probably right. My intellect is convinced that there are
several billion absences dancing around on my desktop, but I can't seem to
experience any of them.

So I am inclined to suggest that the absence of self that you speak of is
nothing more than a construct of the mind, a tired old dogma dressed up in
the borrowed guise of a noble truth.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy