[Buddha-l] there he goes again (sam harris)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 30 09:48:26 MST 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 17:46, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> we cannot experience any absent thing. However, we can experience
> his absence. If we would be unable to experience his absence, then we
> would be unable to say "my dog is absent".

I cannot experience my dog's absence, but I can know it through inference. I
can reason it out through a process that looks like this: "My dog is the sort
of object that is visible, and therefore I would see him if he were present.
I do not see him. Therefore, he is not present."

Note that the key to this inference is that the object whose absence I can
infer must be one that would be experienced if it were presence. This sort of
inference would not be conclusive with respect to the kind of object that
would not be experienced even if it were present, such as space. Another sort
of object about which no legitimate inference of presence or absence can be
inferred is the self. So any claims about the self---whether one claims a
self is rpesent or absent---is an unwarranted claim and therefore a dogma.

> yes, all the things are a construct of the mind.

That also is a dogma that some people love to spout, probably because they
think it will make them sound very Buddhist, perhaps even a little wise and
profound. But I am confident you cannot establish its truth.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy