[Buddha-l] Re: there he goes again (sam harris)

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 31 02:57:30 MST 2006

Joy,

>:-) Quite.
>
>If only the Tibetans would have  had access to the Pali canon.

They didn't need it, since the Sanskrit texts give exactly the same
account of the dhyaanas and enough suutras were rendered into Tibetan.

>They could have spared themselves centuries of polemics on the
>prevalence of the one over the other. I also do remember distinctly
>Eliade writing about an opposition between dhammayogins and jhaayins.

The is precisely one discourse (out of thousands) which mentions this
and the main point of that discourse is that both are of great value.
We do not know if the discourse is given because there is some
disagreement between the two or because the author of that discourse
wanted to head off the possibility. But the latter seems more likely,
given the lack of supporting evidence.

>  So where could that misunderstanding have come from?

Proliferation of ideas without meditative experience ?

Lance Cousins